What are the My Media and Media Gallery tools?
My Media and Media Gallery, powered by Kaltura, are tools where you can upload and manage media, including videos, audio files, and images, for use in your courses.
My Media in your Global Navigation Menu is your personal storage area for videos, audio files, and images. Files in My Media may be private, or they may be published to the Media Gallery in one or more of your Canvas courses. Anyone can upload media directly to My Media.
Media Gallery is a media repository for a course that an instructor can add to the Course Navigation Menu. A participant in a course can upload a video, audio file, or image to Media Gallery, which publishes the file in the gallery at the same time as uploading it to their own My Media space.
Note: Instructors may find steps to add Media Gallery and other tools to their course in How do I manage Course Navigation links? (opens new window).
My Media and Media Gallery Features
- Upload media.
- Edit media.
- Publish media to Media Gallery in your Canvas course(s).
- Record video and audio in your internet browser and embed it in a page in Canvas or publish it in a course's Media Gallery.
- Record video and/or audio using the Kaltura Capture software, for upload to My Media. Recordings can be embedded directly in a page in Canvas or published in a course's Media Gallery after they are uploaded.
- Record video or take a photo using a mobile device (phone or tablet), for upload to My Media. Recordings can be embedded in a page in Canvas or published in a course's Media Gallery after they are uploaded.
- Add media from YouTube.
- Add and edit captions on video and audio files.
- Add co-editors and/or co-publishers (collaborators) to your media.
- Encourage viewer engagement with features such as liking, comments, interactive videos, slides, and in-video quizzing.
For a complete list of features, see the Kaltura Features List.
UVA Policies for Recorded Class Sessions and Materials
For guidance about making recorded class sessions/materials available to students via Media Gallery:
- Use of recorded class sessions and course materials (opens new window)
- Recordings of classroom lectures (opens new window)
- Additional guidance (e.g., sample syllabus statements about recorded classes) (opens new window)
For steps to remove student access to media, see How do I unpublish a Media Gallery file from several sites at once?
Go to My Media.
The link to your personal My Media space can be found near the bottom of your Global Navigation Menu. Select the My Media link.
Tip: For details about global navigation, see How do I use the Global Navigation Menu as an instructor? (opens new window) or How do I use the Global Navigation Menu as a student? (opens new window).
Go to Media Gallery.
Select Media Gallery from the Course Navigation Menu.
Note: To access the Media Gallery tool in a McIntire School of Commerce course site, select McIntire Kaltura from the Course Navigation Menu instead of Media Gallery.