How do I import Media Gallery files and playlists from one Canvas course to another?
Instructors may import media and playlists from one Canvas course's Media Gallery into another course's gallery. This allows you to reuse content in multiple sections of the same course or when you teach the same course in a different semester.
Note: Kaltura places the following limitations on importing content:
- You must be enrolled in the Teacher role in both the course from which you are copying content and the course where you are importing it. If an instructor needs an instructional designer or teaching assistant to perform the import process, the instructor can either add the person to their course (opens new window) in the Teacher role or follow the steps to update that person's role (opens new window) to Teacher.
- If the course from which you are copying content includes more than 10 playlists, media will be copied, but the playlists will not.
Access the course where the content will be added.
Navigate to the course where you will import the content.
Tip: If your course does not display on your Dashboard, follow the steps to find it in How do I use the Global Navigation Menu as an instructor? (opens new window).
Go to Media Gallery.
Select Media Gallery from the Course Navigation Menu.
Note: To access the Media Gallery tool in a McIntire School of Commerce course site, select McIntire Kaltura from the Course Navigation Menu instead of Media Gallery.
Select Channel Actions, then Import.
- Select the three bars (Channel Actions) menu.
- Select Import.
Select the course's Media Gallery to copy, then Import.
A window will pop up displaying a list of Canvas courses where you are enrolled as a Teacher.
- Select the course from which to copy content.
- Select Import.
Wait for the import to complete.
- An Importing Started Successfully message will flash briefly on the screen. If the Media Gallery from which you are copying content includes more than 10 playlists, the message will also indicate that Playlists were not imported.
- Depending on how much content is being copied, it may take some time for the import to complete. While the import is processing, an Importing icon of two spinning cogs will display to the left of the Channel Actions menu.
Refresh the page.
When the import is complete, the following message will appear at the top of the screen: Importing completed successfully. To refresh the page and view the imported entries, click here.
Select the click here link.
View playlists and media.
- If playlists were imported, the Playlists tab displays by default with the playlists shown.
- Imported media files are included in the Media tab. If there are no playlists, content in the Media tab appears on the page.
Note: The Media tab will display with the number of files currently included in it, e.g., 217 Media.